The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into force on 25th May 2018. We want to ensure you are aware of how any information you provide through our website will be processed and used.
Name of Organisation: BCAS (The British Compressed Air Society)
33-34 Devonshire Street
Thank you for visiting the Privacy Notice of the British Compressed Air Society (BCAS) – the UK technical trade association open to manufacturers, distributors and end users of compressors, vacuum pumps, pneumatic tools and allied products.
In this notice, we explain what personal information we collect, why we collect it and who of our trusted partners we share it with. It also tells you how you can access, amend or delete your personal information.
If you’re specifically looking for information about data policy and regulatory issues please visit our Governance section.
What personal information do we collect and why do we collect it?
We want to make the service we offer to you the best it can be through the information you share with us. Specifically, we want to:
1. Make sure our site is informative, up-to-date and functions properly
2. Ensure you are the first to know about BCAS’s news and events (did you mean events?), as well as important industry news;
3. Make you aware of the existing events and training opportunities; and
4. Get the most out of your membership (if you are a BCAS member)
To be able to achieve these aims, we collect personal data in the ways set out below.
When you access our site, we ask for your consent to allow us to store the following cookies on your device:
● Google Analytics – We use Google Analytics to collect information about how users use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information, including the number of visitors to the website, where visitors have come to the website from and the pages they visited. You can read more about these cookies and how Google safeguard them here.
As a member or non-member, you can also register for an account on our site.
When you do, we first ask you for your email address so we can check whether you already have a login to the site. If you don’t, we’ll direct you to a follow-up page to fill out a registration form asking for the following details to complete the process:
● Email address – We will use this email address as the main way of communicating with you about your account and for marketing purposes (see details below).
● Password – We hear a specific line from your favourite song can work great here. Whatever you choose, we will never be able to see your password or share it with anyone but you will always be able to reset it.
● Title First & Last Name – We want to make sure we speak to the right person so please do consider giving us the name you go by at work.
● Job Title, Company, Level – We collect company names and company types to provide a good balance of companies at our events and training, particularly for networking purposes. And finally, we collect individuals’ job titles, and levels so we can better tailor communications about our member services and our events and training and / or so we can tailor the content that we present at events and training. We promise to only use aggregated data for these purposes.
● Marketing communications by email & phone – We want you to be first to know about our latest thinking, events and training, important industry news and views and our recently launched initiatives. As such, we would like to send you emails and call you from time to time. We will only do so if you haven’t opted out. Please see below for how you can do that.
● Events and training we may have occasion to ask for personal information such as Relevant years of experience, Age, Dietary requirements, Reasonable adjustments – provisions,
We will process your contact and payment details when you purchase tickets to any of our events or training in accordance with this privacy notice (see more details below).
Who has access to your information?
BCAS acts as the ‘controller’ of your personal information and does not and will not sell your information to third parties, including for marketing purposes. However, to deliver what we promise we will share some of your information with our trusted partners, all of which act as data processors for us. Data processors are third parties who can only use your personal information in the way that we have instructed them to do so as outlined in this privacy notice. They will not share your personal information with any organisation apart from us.
Specifically, we store your account data in our Cloud based Office 365 system, our Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system, and when you book for a BCAS event or training course we will share some information with external organisers. We also use a contracted PR company to manage our newsletter and Social media services. All suppliers have a GDPR policy please ask for more details if you would like to review this information
Your preferences and choices
You have control over the personal information that you share with us.
BCAS may contact you for marketing purposes as part of our B2B marketing efforts. You’ll be able to opt-out through any marketing email we send you or by telling us over the phone or via the unsubscribe function.
How can you access or update your personal information in your account?
Once registered, you can always change your preferences.
We try our very best to keep your data accurate. However, if you become aware of any errors or you would like to see what personal information we have collected from you, find out how to correct, update, amend, delete/remove or deactivate your information, please email email@example.com. We will respond to your request to access as soon as possible but at the very least within 30 days.
How do we keep your personal information secure?
The security of your personal information is also important to us. When you provide us with it, we will take steps and make our best efforts to ensure it is treated securely on our systems.
When you sign up to one of our many events, we’ll ask you for credit/debit card information. When you enter this information on our order forms, we encrypt the transmission of that information to our payment partners, world pay & secure trading. These companies are authorised to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us.
How long do we keep your data?
We will retain your personal information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your personal information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
This site contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the content or privacy notices of any of these sites. If you submit personal information to any of those sites, your information is governed by their privacy notices. We encourage you to carefully read the privacy notices of any web site that you visit.
If what you read above doesn’t answer all your questions or you have any other queries, please do get in touch with us directly. You can email our Society Officer or Executive Director at Info@bcas.org.uk.
If you have any issues relating to the way that we use your personal information, you can also raise them with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO): https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
Revision Date: 10/06/2021